What is an Autism Spectrum Disorder?
The National Center for Learning Disabilities answer this question in this 9 minute video, covering the following conditions and domains:
PDD, Asperger’s Syndrome and Childhood Disintegration Disorder.
The Social Interaction Domain
- Eye Contact
- Facial Expression
- Body Posture
- Emotional Signals
- Interest in sharing enjoyment
- Attention to the achievements of others
- Understanding others’ feelings
- Comfort by Touch
The Communication Domain
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Domains
- Taking Turns
- Remaining Engaged
- Stereotypes, Repetition and Echolalia
- Listener Perspective
- Concrete, Focus on Self
The Behavior Domain
- Focus on Parts & Pieces
- Need for Sameness & Routines
- Hypersensitivity or Lack of Awareness.